There is no content to display.
Smoothies are a speedy way to boost your nutrition and make sure you eat rather than skipping meals. Don’t get me wrong I’d rather have a steak and veg meal but when I’m pushed for time a shake really does the trick. The key is for it to be nutritious and not just heavily dense in one ingredient- it needs to balanced.
Problems I see regularly with people’s smoothie ingredients:
– Too much diary
– Not enough fibre
– Too much fruit, people love placing 3-4 pieces in one smoothie- it’s going overboard
– Zero to little healthy essential fat
– Not suitable for a proper meal replacement (i.e missing carbs or protein)
– Contains no veg or green element
– People seem so paranoid about adding carbs, you need them for weight loss and fuel- eat ’em!
How to supercharge your smoothies:
Add a green element:
– Spirulina powder
– Greens supplement (free from any sweetener, I like beyond greens)
– Just add veggies. Kale, cucumber and english spinach are great. It’s not green but have you tried sweet potato or pumpkin?
Always add a fat component:
– Coconut oil
– Flax seed oil
– Avo (great to make a creamy smoothie and doesn’t taint the flavour of the smoothie)
– Peanut Butter or other nut butter
Choose a small portion (I love frozen fruit but choose your preference or add ice)
1/2 banana, 2 small plums, cup of berries, 1 pear, cup of rockmelon. Just keep it majority low sugar fruit so as not to cause intense sugar spikes in insulin levels. Use 1 serving of fruit not 3 or 4 and keep edible skin on.
– Almond milk (unsweetened)
– Coconut milk (unsweetened)
– Coconut Water (my personal favourite and virtually no sugar – use Natural Raw C)
– Pea Protein Isolate
– Whey Protein Isolate
– Whole egg
Add a carb/seed/superfood element:
– The Muesli
– Sweet potato or pumpkin (if you didnt use it as your veggie)
– Quinoa (another favourite of mine. I cook a big batch and then it’s on hand when I need it, add 1/4-1/2 cup)
– coconut shredded/dried coconut (no sugar added)
– Chia seeds
– Sesame seeds
– flax seeds
My favourite combos right now:
MORNING POWER: 300ml coconut water, cup raspberries, tbsp PB, tsp chia, 1/2 cucumber, scoop of Pea protein and 1/4 cup quinoa. Few cubes of ice
ARVO PICK ME UP POWER: 300ml coconut water, yoghurt, cacao, PB, english spinach and cup blueberries, 1/4 cup quinoa or The Muesli
GREEN POWER: 300ml coconut water, 1/4 avo, english spinach, cup frozen rockmelon, pea protein, coconut shredded (tbsp) and 1/2 cucumber
Place all in a blender and whizzzzzzz!